Friday 13 April 2012

Where and when can you find morels in the UK?

We'd all love to know precisely where and exactly when to find morels. 

In fact, it would be really nice if someone set up some kind of morel-finding app, so as soon as they appeared in your area, you'd get a text with specific location... a kind of X marks the spot.

But, alas! That is never going to happen.

Morels are notoriously elusive. That gives them their mystique and, if truth be told, makes us want them even more. It makes it even more special when you do find them.

The following is the best advice I can give for finding morels in the UK:

Morel (morchella esculenta)

When to look: spring – from the end of March to mid-May

Where to look: among herbs and grass in forests, where fires have occurred and on bark chippings and mulch beds in shrubberies and gardens


Semifree morel (mitrophora semilibera)

When to look: early spring – first few weeks of April

Where to look: in dense grass in woodlands and along paths in damp places


That's it! That's as much of a clue as you're getting. You really do need a lot of perseverance and a huge dash of luck to find these beauties.

If you do find them, well done and enjoy! I’d love to hear your story of how you found them, how long you’d been looking and what you did with them.

And it goes without saying, never ask a forager where they found their treasure.


Want to know more?

You might be interested in: what is a morel mushroom?

You might want to know more: how to identify morel mushrooms


11 comments:

  1. In the country where I come from, Slovakia, many types of morels grow almost everywhere.. Here I am struggling to find some but with my mushroom-hunting skills I am sure they are not gonna hide from me this year :D I am gonna let you know if I succeeded. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a nice patch of Morels today on the south downs. Sorry but that's as much as I can tell you. Will be cooking them up this evening for the family to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literally just found one growing in the city centre of glasgow on great western road with my avid mushroom enthusiast friend, completely by chance. We are both intrigued and astounded!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    i’m edoardo from italy and i just moved to leeds area.
    In Italy i loved to go to pick up wild mushroom in autumn…but here i don’t know anything and seems not able to find woods…any advice to where i can go to have some fun?
    if not secret of course…i usually love boletus, cantarellus and so on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a multitude of Morels growing in my border - amongst a bark topping which I bought in Lidl - maybe that's the secret ! What doesn't make sense is that it's mid August and they are mean to proliferate in early spring. Any ideas why I should be getting them now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a pic? What bark did you buy?

      Delete
  6. There's a morel in my front garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stepped on one last year without knowing what mushroom it was. This year there are 12 of them, after researchs I and my family think it's out luck to have them in our yard. I'm near Cambridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found them in my garden today... how do I show photos?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't want "Location location location" Just how far North they extend; e.g. - NO bloody good looking in Cumbria if they do NOT occur north of, say Lincolnshire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. only time i've ever found morels is as with other folks, on bark chips in peoples gardens,my advice is become a landscape gardener or just stick to other varieties of edible fungi!

    ReplyDelete