Monday 25 October 2010

Birthday foraging!


At the weekend I went on a birthday forage (for my birthday, which is today!) with Mina Said, in a secret location in Leeds...



We met there at 9:30am with a group of my friends (and another birthday group) and we spent a good few hours in the woods, finding lots of lovely mushrooms, including wood blewits, dead man's fingers, a few boletes (including a perfect brown birch bolete) and other strange things like the possibly edible tawny grisette.


Mina was being interviewed by BBC Radio Leeds during the walk, and I was also asked to say a few words. I was a little inarticulate, but you can listen to me on Bob Walmlsey's show again on iPlayer until 30th October.


I found the perfect brown birch bolete (which was a highlight), which was turned into a wild mushroom lasagne later in the evening. (For a starter James made a Swiss roll with left over chicken of the woods.)


And this is the cake Mina made me: a home made elderberry and apple cake with elderberry icing, yum.



2 comments:

  1. not at all inarticulate but where was the fungulous plug?! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you listened to me rambling on Ali, just amazing (and a little embarrassing)! I really should have plugged Absolutely Fungulous! Next time... x

    ReplyDelete