Monday 11 October 2010

Wild mushrooms in my belly!

Today I've spent a few hours transcribing the interview I did with the talented forager and mushroom know-it-all, Mina Said. Listening to her talk about the wonders of mushrooms all afternoon has got me inspired (and feeling hungry!)

So it's with excitement that I prepare to cook my first-ever foraged mushroom feast: a chicken and wild mushroom pie.

I found a few fungi yesterday that I'm 100 percent certain about, including four shaggy ink caps and a single Field Blewit, which has a spectacular lilac-tinted stem.

A Field Blewit
I've also got some Chicken of the Woods in the freezer from a couple of months ago, and some oyster mushrooms, foraged from, er... Morrisons (I hate to admit it, but needed a back-up in case I didn't find anything edible, and to make sure it wasn't just plain old chicken pie).

The recipe comes from the Edible Mushroom Book: a guide to foraging and cooking, and needless to say, it has loads of great recipes that make my mouth water.

If it goes according to plan, and tastes as good as I hope, I'll post the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment